Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Boating on the Rio Frio in Caño Negro Wildlife Preserve


This is the boat I took on the Rio Frio to cruise with a group of gringos in the Caño Negro wildlife refuge.  It was a guided trip and the van picked me up at the gas station about 5 km from the villa.  Esteban arranged the trip for me.


We made a short stop in Muelle, a little town not far from here where we found the aptly-named:
The restaurant must have these guys under contract because we saw a bunch of them sunning themselves in the top branches of trees along the river.
Then it was onward to the boat ramp, a special pavilion owned by the tour company.  We had plenty of room on the boat to stretch out and there was a canopy so we didn't get baked while we cruised.  The Caño Negro is a very important bit of land because many migratory birds use it as a place to hang out and recharge their batteries before returning to the US.  The guides were great at spotting monkeys, birds, and caimans then the boat driver would maneuver the boat so those who wanted to could shoot pictures.  We had to get really close to this guy to enable me to shoot this picture using my simple camera with 4X zoom.
Here's one more shot of the river; a beautiful and serene location--also one of the most important ecological sites in the Americas.
And a final one of me, living the Pura Vida in Costa Rica at the pavilion.  Gringo tourists are very handy for shooting pictures of each other!





1 comment:

  1. Iguana Restaurant!! I might have ordered vegetarian just to be sure. Pretty boat, reminding me of one from some movie I can't remember... Sounds like a(nother) lovely day.

    ReplyDelete