Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sky Tram Near the Arenal Volcano

Sky Tram is a way to ascend through the forest to get a great view of Lake Arenal and the Arenal volcano, weather permitting.  Sky Trek is a set of zip lines that facilitate a very fast descent from the top tram station.  The people in this picture paid for the combo Tram/Trek, unlike me--I only planned to ride the tram up and back.  I already checked the zip line check box at Eco-Glide with Briana last week.  Thus the gear on the people in the tram car pictured above.  It was interesting to see the trepidation people had about zip-lining while we were waiting for our appointed tram time.  I could definitely relate so I refrained from making any comments like, "I hope you have your will updated because there's a good chance you will die."

The Sky Trek version of zip lining is different from what we did at Eco-Glide.  It's easier in methodology but scarier in that you watch the previous group take off down a verrrrrry long zip line.  One guy decided to pass after seeing others take off and the guides took his gear off.  Can't say that I blame him.  Zip-lining is not the most natural way to get down the side of a mountain.  But it's definitely an adrenaline rush and something you wouldn't do every day, so why the heck not do it in a beautiful country like Costa Rica while on vacation?
Anyway, the volcano wasn't in a cooperative mood on this morning; it remained covered in clouds.  I did get a fantastic view of Lake Arenal from way up high:
It's not that far to drive from the villa all the way to the Arenal Observatory Lodge.  I left here at 7 AM and arrived at 8:45. Sky Tram and Sky Trek are about one kilometer's drive on a rocky road from the Lodge.  I went early and even with having to wait a half hour for a group that I could join up with I was still home by lunch.

And I saw a couple of toucans in a tree near where I parked my car!  I couldn't get close enough to them to take their picture before they flew away. One bird can fly and certainly "toucan"!

Pura vida!


No comments:

Post a Comment